Monday, February 2, 2009

Call me crazy

Things just keep getting better!

We are currently in Taupo. It's a bigger city so I was able to hop on the Internet. Yesterday, in Waitomo, we went zorbing and ventured into the underground caves for some black water rafting. Both things = AMAZING. Zorbing was hilarious. Beth, Amanda and I all went together in one zorb ball. SO much fun. If only we had something like that back home!

However, the black water rafting has been my favorite thus far. Completely mind-blowing. We received a lesson on repeling and then repeled 35 meters underground into the Ruakuri Caves. It was intense. We rock climbed, waded through the waters, zip lined in complete darkness through the caves, climbed up waterfalls, jumped off waterfalls and had the time of our lives. Plus, the cave is filled with glow worms, which was neat to see.

We left Waitomo early this morning and stopped at Tongariro National Park for a quick 30 minute hike through some of the forests. We arrived into Taupo around 3 p.m. today and ventured onto our first activity in this city. Can you guess it? Probably not. I went skydiving. I know, the one thing I vowed I would NEVER do. This place has a way with people. I feel as though I'm a different person. I'm an adrenaline junkie!! It was THE BEST TIME OF MY LIFE. Being adventurous, we opted for the 15,000 foot departure instead of the 12,000. After getting a few safety lessons, we took off on the plane and I was the first to jump out. It was so exhilarating. Time literally stood still. The 65 second free-fall was over before it began. Then, I was parachuting 5,000 feet above beautiful New Zealand for five minutes until coming to a safe ground landing. I can honestly say I wasn't even that afraid. The thought of freedom and adrenaline pushed through my mind and I took advantage of it. I loved it.

That was a lot of excitement for one day! Afterward, we checked into our hostel and grabbed some pizza at a local restaurant. Now, we're calling it an early night because we have a 12-HOUR hike tomorrow through the Tongariro Crossing. We'll be hiking up to the summit of volcanic mountains and then coming back down. It's going to be one hell of a workout, needless to say. But, it should be a good time and the views should make up for the lack of oxygen and the freezing temperatures at the top of the snow-covered mountain.

No worries, mate :)
XOXO, Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment