The apartment we were hoping to get is probably not going to work out. Our applications were accepted, but the landlord was only interested in leasing out for 12-months. Well, as Uni students, we're looking for a 5-month lease at max and the only advice we were given was to sign up for a 12-month lease and break the lease when we were ready to leave. However, that involved fees and a huge risk of finding a 'sublease' for 7 months when we are done. Headache.
We've got two appointments tomorrow to view two more apartments. So, once again, we're hoping for the best. Fortunately, we haven't let our housing misfortunate ruin our spirits. We've met a lot of people and we thoroughly enjoy the scenery and nightlife that Newcastle has to offer. We just wish it would stop raining once in a while! Temperatures are supposed to soar again in a few days - time for the beach!!!
Today was Amanda's 21st birthday so we decided to celebrate. We went on a tour of the Hunter Valley wine region. So gorgeous! We visited 5 different wineries and sampled NUMEROUS wines, cheeses, chocolates, relishes, chutneys, ports and liqueurs. It was a blast and the countryside was beautiful! Since we came on a Monday, the wineries weren't busy at all and we got 5-star service. Plus, at every winery, sampled glasses upon glasses of wine. Talk about an all-day buzz. I now know everything there is to know about wine - how to taste it, how to distinguish it from others and how it's made. Mom and Dad, you'd be so proud. Turns out - I prefer a sweet white wine. How about that!
AND - I saw my first kangaroo today! Actually, the very first one I saw was lying dead on the side of the road. Sad. But, after a bit of 'Roo Hunting', we spotted about 20 or so along the roads. We even stopped the tour bus so we could get out and get a better photo. We got about 15 feet away from two of them. They are so adorable!!
We went out for a nice harbor-side dinner tonight to celebrate Amanda's birthday. We met 2 girls and one guy from the University of South Carolina and we've become pretty close so they joined us. They are also studying at the Uni this semester so we've got some good pals to hang out with. Dinner was amazing. I didn't understand many of the terms on the menu, but I ordered salmon and it came glazed and paired with a bunch of stuff - all of which was amazing. You just don't get great seafood like that back in Iowa.
It's 11:30 p.m. and for the first time in a long time, I think I'm going to make it an early night and get some sleep. After a day of wine, I think I could use the rest.
No worries, mate
XOXO, Jennifer Lynn
The country side pictures are sooooo pretty! I also enjoy the kangaroos, I'm glad you got to see them! They are adorable.
ReplyDelete